Update: After using the Schmidt’s Rose Scented Deodorant Stick for several months, I started to develop itching and redness on one of my underarms. I am assuming this is a reaction to the product’s baking soda. I switched to their sensitive skin formula and saw some improvement. Check out my current favorites page to see what I’m using now!
Ditching your conventional deodorant and switching to an all-natural brand is a horrifying thought for many. How can something that is all-natural work? And even if it does work, is it as good as the popular conventional options? In my experience, I have found these concerns to be justified for some all-natural deodorant brands.. but not all! It all comes down to what brand you use. As with anything, some brands are better than others and what works well for one person may not work as well for the next.
After much trial and error, I have found a couple of all-natural brands that I am confident work just as well as my old conventional deodorant! They are so good, I will never go back.. bye bye Dove & Secret! ✌
My favorite deodorant and the one I am currently using is from a company called Schmidt’s Deodorant. Their mission is to “change the way you think about deodorant” by setting new standards. Instead of mindlessly applying potentially dangerous chemicals to your skin, they want you to be aware of what your body is absorbing (yes, your deodorant doesn’t just sit on the outside of your skin – anything you put on it goes into it). For this reason, their formulas are free of aluminum, propylene glycol, parabens, and phthalates – all potentially hazardous chemicals found in most conventional deodorants.
If you’re wondering if their products work without these chemicals, my answer is YES. Their products provide the same level of odor protection as the conventional brands while also helping to keep your underarms dry.
In my experience, Schmidt’s deodorants have been extremely effective in preventing body odor all day. Schmidt’s has a variety of scents to appeal to all sorts of people. I have tried several and have found the odor protection to be the same for each.
Scent descriptions from Schmidt’s Online Store:
- Rose + Vanilla: A heavenly bouquet of rose with hints of sweet, powdery vanilla. Luxurious, elegant, and inviting.
- Bergamot + Line: A bright citrus scent.
- Lavender + Sage: The clean, herbaceous fragrance is tranquil and soothing.
- Cedarwood + Juniper: A favorite among men and women alike. This provocative blend offers a warm, woody scent that is irresistible.
- Ylang-Ylang + Calendula: An elegant aroma that is sweet with delicate floral notes.
- Fragrance-Free: A must-have for those seeking powerful deodorant protection and a luxurious experience without scent.
Conventional deodorants use a form of aluminum as an antiperspirant. Aluminum works by plugging your sweat glands to completely stop you from sweating. Schmidt’s formula contains natural plant-based powders intended to absorb the moisture when you sweat. Unlike aluminum, these powders do not completely stop you from sweating, but they can help you remain dry! Remember, we are supposed to sweat – whether it be temperature regulation or toxin removal, it is essential we allow our body to breathe!
TEST OF TIME
Daily Protection: I work very active 12.5+ hour shifts and can confidently say Schmidt’s prevents odor all day. I do not feel I need to reapply deodorant at any point during the day. // Factors to consider: (1) I work in a temperature controlled environment; (2) I would not consider myself a naturally sweaty person.
Long-term: At this point, I have been using Schmidt’s products for several months and my body has yet to “get used to” the formula. Some argue that, over time, deodorants stop working as well — I have personally not found this to be true with Schmidt’s. If you find this is the case for you, I recommend trying a different one of their scents and seeing if that solves the problem.
MY CURRENT DEODORANT (NOV 2016)
STICK VS. JAR
When the Schmidt’s company was first created, they only had a jar product. Founder, Jaime Schmidt, formulated and packaged the original formula in her kitchen and sold her products at local farmers markets. Eventually, word spread and her famous jar formula became the leader in natural deodorant that it is today. Due to high demand, the company recently introduced a stick-form. I have used both and find odor/wetness protection is the same.
- Ingredients: Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder, Theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, Essential oils, Tocopherol (vitamin E).
- Application Process: (1) Remove a pea-sized amount of deodorant using the enclosed spatula; (2) Warm between fingers to soften completely; (3) Apply to underarm area.
- Pro: Accurate/targeted application.
- Con: Requires you wash your hands after use.
- Ingredients: Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Essential oils, Tocopherol (vitamin E).
- Application Process: (1) Allow to slightly soften by holding under your armpit momentarily; (2) Apply a thin/even layer to underarm area.
- Pro: Fast, hassle-free application process.
- Con: If not warmed, will not apply as smoothly.
WHAT IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN?
Even though all Schmidt’s products are 100% natural, some people get reactions to products formulated with baking soda. Schmidt’s addresses this issue by offering a line of products intentionally designed for people with sensitive skin. These products do not contain baking soda and instead use magnesium to neutralize odor. The consistency of these products is also slightly smoother and creamier for a gentle application. As a bonus, these formulas include essential oils with soothing and anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Ingredients: Magnesium hydroxide, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Tocopherol (vitamin E), essential oils.
TRY IT FOR YOURSELF:
- Schmidt’s is offering my readers an exclusive discount to their online store!
- Code “SMELLTHEROSES” saves you 25% off your entire online order!
- If Amazon.com is more your style, you can find their products there with Prime Eligibility. Here are links to my current faves:
- Check out their Etsy store.
- You can also find Schmidt’s Deodorant in stores. Click here to find a retailer near you
Disclaimer: I have not been paid by Schmidt’s to write this review. Schmidt’s was kind enough to send me their Rose + Vanilla deodorant stick to try and review, as well as two other products. All opinions are 100% my own and based on my personal experience with this company’s products (I started using these products long before this blog). I do not receive a commission when you use my coupon code on their site. This post does include Amazon affiliate links in which I earn a small commission.